Our skin is the largest organ in the body and is a reflection of our internal health. Looking after our skin really does come from within making nutrition our most powerful tool when it comes to getting the healthy complexion we all strive for. Here are my top foods to include in the diet for skin health.
1. Oily fish: Omega 3 found in oily fish like salmon and mackerel provides hydration for the skin keeping water locked in. It also has anti-inflammatory properties helping conditions like eczema and acne.
2. Pumpkin seeds contain high levels of zinc which stimulates wound healing and helps reduce skin irritations like eczema and acne. Other foods high in zinc include: chickpeas, mushrooms, shellfish, brazil nuts and poultry.
3. Dark leafy greens such as kale, collard greens, broccoli and swiss chard provide the skin with antioxidant protection and help upregulate the body’s detoxification mechanisms to help clear toxins. Green leafy vegetables are also high in magnesium which helps the transportation of omega 3 into the cells.
4. Avocado contains concentrated amounts of Vitamin E, which is an antioxidant that protects the skin from pigmentation and fine lines. Other foods with high Vitamin E content include seeds, spinach and tomatoes.
5. Yellow Fruits and vegetables, like carrots, pumpkin and sweet potato, contain high levels of beta carotene which is converted in the body to vitamin A. Vitamin A can help premature skin ageing mopping up free radical damage and protecting the skin from further damage.